My rockmelons are coming along nicely. I noticed four fruits emerging from the vines a few days ago.
I’d been worried that the vines were too crowded and that this may stop the fruit from growing, but so far it looks as though I do have some healthy fruit.
The garden is at the back of a rental property on the south coast of New South Wales, about 2 hours south of Sydney, Australia. The soil is generally fertile in a region famous for dairy farming and viticulture, although the garden had been stripped of much of its nutrients when I moved in, courtesy of the previous tenant’s neglect and a dry winter. The garden attracts quite a lot of sun, during very warm summer months and even during colder winter months in what is typically a temperate climate. The area is also famous for beaches and surfing, which is great after a day of hard yakka in the garden.
I didn’t plant these seeds properly. I did the research on the correct way to plant rockmelons after I had actually planted them. Not very bright but I might get away with it.
I should have created some mounds with soil, then planted the seeds in the mounds, spaced more widely apart.
Instead, I dug some shallow trenches in the garden, threw in quite a lot of seeds that I’d saved from rockmelons I’d bought at the supermarket, then covered those with some potting mix.
Now I simply water the plants every day.
I was close to thinning out the vines, thinking they were too crowded, but then I noticed a small, round, light green object and realised that some fruit was starting to grow.
I suppose I’ll find out in the next month or so if I have been lucky enough to get away with my poor preparation.