The Sydney Roosters sit atop the Frownlow Medal ladder in 2017 with a squad that contains more players to have been nominated for Frownlow honours than any other club.
The NRL club has surpassed all rival teams from across four football codes by fielding eight Frownlow nominees, including the inaugural Frownlow Medal winner, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, who won in 2015.
The Frownlow Medal is awarded to the player whose off-field demeanour epitomises the values of the modern day footballer and draws attention to the status of footballers as role models to young Australians. It covers Australia’s four major football codes; the National Rugby League (NRL), Australian Football League (AFL), the A-League (Football) and Rugby Union’s Super Rugby competition.
The Frownlow Medal Hall of Fame honours former players and players who received media attention in previous seasons, for similarly scandalous behaviour, and its inductees include Ben Cousins and Todd Carney.
Kenny-Dowall plays and trains alongside the following scandalous teammates:
- Mitchell Pearce, nominated for The Frownlow Medal: Australia Day 2016, drunk, peed his pants, unwanted advances towards woman, simulated sex with a dog, video of which appeared on social media. Girl in the yellow dress incident, King’s Cross 2014. Fines. Suspensions. Rehab.
- Jake Friend (c). Nominated for The Frownlow Medal Hall of Fame: Charged with assaulting a woman at a nightclub. Drink driving. Prescription drugs charges. Charged for an altercation with a taxi driver. Roosters once terminated his contract – he’s now captain of the Roosters.
- Zane Tetevano. Nominated for The Frownlow Medal Hall of Fame: Sentenced to nine months jail for domestic violence. Blamed alcohol and toxic environment of NRL. Vowed never to return to NRL, now playing with Roosters.
- Dylan Napa. Nominated for The Frownlow Medal (2016,17): Banned from State of Origin for 12 months after breaking curfew at QLD emerging Origin camp. Knocked out by drug addicted cleaner at Palm Beach party. Kicked off flight for being too drunk.
- Liam Knight. Nominated for The Frownlow Medal: Arrested for speeding and high-range drink driving while on his P plates. Sprayed Aerogard into his mouth to avoid detection before a random breath test.
- Paul Carter. Nominated for The Frownlow Medal Hall of Fame: Multiple drink driving charges. Driving without a licence. Suspended by Gold Coast Titans. Contract terminated by Gold Coast Titans. Alcohol abuse and poor discipline at South Sydney Rabbitohs, contract terminated. Alcohol rehab in Thailand.
- Blake Ferguson. Nominated for The Frownlow Medal Hall of Fame: Charged with assaulting a woman. Posted drunken image on social media.
Roosters fans are now waiting to see whether this band of miscreants can carry the club to a grand final victory in 2017.